Who Knew God Was Such a Jokester

I’m convinced that God in His or Her wisdom diminished our eyesight just in time for us not to see the changes years would put upon us. Why else would our mane thin while we suddenly grow dark, thick and unruly hairs on our chins or our upper lips? Guys, you haven’t faired much better. God certainly has a sense of humor: hair in your ears, bald domes and beer bellies (well, thankfully, not all of you)!

Speaking of eyesight, do you know anyone over forty who doesn’t carry around a pocket pair of magnifying eyeglasses? Hair or the lack of it is not the only matter of humor here. Nay, there’s enough hilarity to go around and around and around that widening girth of ours.

I remember being svelte and demure. Back then I never doubted I always would be, but once again there were other plans for me… Okay, so our hair is thinning and growing in places we would never choose to have hair, our eyesight is blurring and our waistline is hardly a “line”. What else could He or She throw at us?

Well, there’s a hint towards the sagging of nearly every thing, which promises only to get worse; there’s bunions on our corns and ankles have given way to canckles; and for some of us there’s Fixadent and Polident and teeth in a jar in our future. Let’s face it, that heavenly God of ours has a raw sense of humor...or is it just that we were created in His image? OMG, what a vision does that conjure?

We Baby Boomers are not going to take this quietly. We’re going to make plastic surgeons very wealthy individuals. There’s a growing industry devised to assure our “forever youth”. You have but to turn on the television set or watch the plethora of commercials pandering to our self-image.

There’s whitening for our yellowing teeth, liposuction for our abuses at the dinner table, Botox to abracadabra those laugh lines and smile lines away; silicone and saline for breasts gone south or north or east or west; there’s penile implants and drugs that sustain or enlarge.
There’s potions to rub upon our balding heads, miracle creams to smear across those widening pores, and elixirs to swallow that promise everything from recovery from pain to everlasting energy and no doubt soon to promise nirvana.

We certainly live in amazing times. But as we age ever so gracefully, and surely better than our parents did, all around us are reminders that our world is changing and not in a way any of us would have chosen. Some might argue that aging is a wondrous thing - and true enough, just the accomplishment is worthy of note, but I doubt if it were feasible that any one of us could halt this process that we wouldn’t.

10 comments:

  1. ~ right on!
    ~ and what to do about it: LAUGH my dear, just LAUGH :)
    because, as they say, the alternative is worse...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said. I'm thankful just to have my health. Like Diane said the alternative is worse. But lets face it if we could stay young or go back in time even just for a little I think most would do it. One of biggest accomplishments is going to be growing old gracfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that what I do love about aging, and believe me, I'm always trying to scrape the bottom of THAT barrel...is that when I look into my dear friend Norma's eyes, or any of my women friends that are my age, I see THEM. WHO THEY REALLY ARE. NO COMMUNICATION NECESSARY.
    When I look into the eyes of a young woman, I don't really see her lack of crows feet. I see the lack of experience, her lack of definition, her lack of self. And, truthfully, since I am a direct and blunt harpy in training, I don't see much there to interest me.
    Get back to me after you hit 45 girl, them we can pow wow!
    What I have lost in firmness of skin, I make up for in firmness of mind.
    I don't turn heads like I once did...but give me five minutes and I will turn your mind slap out of your skull.
    It seems a pretty fair trade to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend Milly wrote this.

    LOL what word tells us what over 50 is? Hmm. Depends, what is wrong is that people rush the "senior" citizen on themselves. I am nearly 71, and only just began calling myself a Senior Citizen at 70. Wait 20 more years before you hit yourselves with that caption on your name. Over 50 is the Golden years for you all. Enjoy, laugh, be silly, it keeps you young.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend Connie wrote.

    How about "experienced"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the comments! Gloria, you still turn heads, but the plus is that you're bright, intelligent, inspiring, illuminating and what you offer, and many of us offer, over 40, is a confidence of self, an assurance of who we are. We stand tall and often firm, we're opinionated, but not arrogant; we're well read and we love and appreciate life. Thank you, Diane, Gloria, Maureen, Karen, Connie and Milly! Thank you, one and all for sharing and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi How have you been? Is there a way I can link this page to my Face Book page?
    Well I haven't come up with much. How about "Maturity" at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maureen, thank you for asking. I know you can post it on your wall and one of the little icons under your post is for entering the link address, which is: http://ragingataging.blogspot.com
    I will look into it more and if I find out anything else I'll let you know. Thank you, Maureen. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maureen, I just found the answer and it couldn't be any easier. Go to my opening page of the Blog, and in the topmost bar you'll find a link to "Share". click on it and it gives you the option to share on Facebook, Twitter, Email and Google Reader! I'm glad you asked because now I know, as well. Again, thanks!!! BTW, my newest postings are found under "August". If you haven't read them check 'em out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I write a blog called graceful aging; it's not as funny as this, but you might want to give it a read. I try to share my thoughts about aging without telling anyone what they should do. If you read it, I'd love to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete